Friday, July 4, 2008

BBQ Sauce Mop

One of my favorite things about summer is all of the extra time to grill. Now, don't get me wrong, I grill all winter long. It's just a lot easier to grill during the summer. Tomorrow I'm going to spend the afternoon tending to a brisket on my grill.

One thing I've seen in my grilling books is a sauce mop for keeping the brisket moist. I saw one recently at a store, but the store is farther than I'm willing to spend the money on gas to go back and get it. So I thought I could try to make my own. I stopped at Walmart and bought a replacement cotton mop head. With that and a dowel rod, I'd be in business.

Using only a small portion of the cotton yarn from the mop head, I fashioned myself a decent BBQ mop. In fact I was quite proud of my handiwork.

But I don't think I want to use it. The cotton mop is shedding lint more than a Husky in the spring. I thought maybe if I kept the cut ends up (and left loops at the bottom) that that would fix the shedding problem.
It's better, but still sheds. Has any one made their own BBQ sauce mop? I don't think I want extra cotton on my brisket tomorrow for dinner.

2 comments:

Road Warrior said...

Wow, great question. I think that it's like anything else. Continued use will allow the mop to shead the loose fibers. I would also go online to purchase a BBQ Mop made for the grill. This is from the Macy's Web site (I don't work for Macy's). It seems to address your concerns:

Progressive Barbeque Sauce Mop
Orig. $14.98
Was $11.24
Now $8.43

Good BBQ is not just about the way the meat is cooked, it's also about the sauce. This state-of-the-art sauce mop trades in hard-to-clean cloth for silicone loops that allow you to slather on large amounts of smoky sauce. Lifetime warranty.
details shipping & returns
Dishwasher safe
Request warranty information
Measures 16" L
Loops will not shed or lose shape, and are heat resistant to 600 degrees
Handle includes a convenient bottle opener
Sauce mop disassembles for easy cleaning
Web ID: 274709

Good luck!

The Beast Mom said...

So why don't you and amusingmom have Facebook accts? I know this has nothing to do w/ your blog post, but still. I need to ask. I was suprised to no-findy-find you both when I searched just for fun.

-bm